Listen Live
HomeNewsIsland & CoastWildfire Near Sayward Held as Crews Respond to New Fire Near Cameron...

Wildfire Near Sayward Held as Crews Respond to New Fire Near Cameron Lake

June 5, 3 p.m.

The Cameron Bluffs wildfire has grown to 20 hectares in size and is visible from Cameron Lake, according to BC Wildfire service.

They say the fire is burning in steep terrain with helicopter bucketing to support crew operations. Eight firefighters are currently fighting the fire.

They ask drivers to focus on the road and boaters to stay clear of helicopter bucketing sites.

- Advertisement -

The CPR trail is still open, and they add there is no risk to the highway and Cameron Lake resort areas at the moment.

The BC Wildfire service says the Newcastle Creek fire west of Sayward is now being held.

The fire is more than two-hundred hectares in size, but the containment lines are holding and crews continue working to bring it under control.

BC Wildfire says firefighters are taking direct action on 80 percent of the fire, with the remaining 20 percent burning on extreme slopes.

Smoke from the fire is visible from Sayward, but no evacuation alert has been ordered.

Meanwhile, a new fire was discovered Saturday in steep terrain on Cameron Bluffs Highway-4 between Parksville and Port Alberni.

There is currently no threat to the highway or Cameron Lake resort areas, and the CPR trail remains open.

Drivers traveling through the area are asked to focus on the road and avoid looking at the fire.

Two initial attack crews were assigned and a helicopter with a bucket was supporting the firefighters.

Boaters on Cameron lake were asked to stay clear of helicopter bucket dip sites.

The fire is suspected to be human caused and is less than a hectare in size.

Another new wildfire was detected last night east of the Nanaimo Airport near Spruston Road.

The fire is less than a hectare in size and the cause is unknown.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading