ā–ŗ Listen Live
HomeNewsPort Hardy school closed all week due to COVID-19 case spike

Port Hardy school closed all week due to COVID-19 case spike

Businesses, First NationsĀ and schools too. Well over a year later and COVID-19 is still top of mind on North Vancouver Island.

A school in Port Hardy is actually keeping its doors closed all week due to a recent case spike. Yesterday, Gwaā€™sala-ā€˜Nakwaxdaā€™xw (GNN) School said it wouldnā€™t be welcoming students back to the classroom until next Monday, Nov. 15.

In a letter sent out to the school community, school staff said they understand this decision may be disruptive to families but noted itā€™s for everyoneā€™s safety and well-being.

- Advertisement -

ā€œAs a school, we always strive to remain open and provide an education to our students,ā€ stated the Nov. 8 letter, signed by principal Reed Allen, GNN interim band manager Leslie Walkus and GNN health services manager Alexa Bisaillon.

ā€œHowever, with so many confirmed positive cases and exposures, as well as so many requiring to isolate, we feel that this is the safest way forward for our students and staff.ā€

This past Friday, the school wasĀ notified of a possible COVID-19 exposure. It said the student who tested positive attended class last Tuesday, Nov. 3, and that public health would directly notify close contacts.

ā€œWith COVID-19, we have strict health and safety guidelines,ā€ GNN School said, while asking anyone who develops symptoms like cough, fever or chills to seek testing and to self-isolate if results come back positive.

ā€œWe also encourage anyone who has yet to get vaccinated to do so,ā€ staff added. ā€œThis includes students who are turning 12 this year and older. Following these measures is the only way we can mitigate and stop this horrible pandemic.ā€

READ MORE: North Island businesses, First Nations hit pause due to spike in COVID-19 cases

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More